Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Review: Gentlemen Prefer Succubi

I'm still not in full blogging mode. My RSS feeds are piling up and every time I mean to post something I end up on LOLcats instead. I hate to admit it, but I can't wait for the semester to start back up. This no schedule/set routine thing is going to kill me if it goes on much longer. On the up side I am at least reading again, so I thought I might as well throw some of my thoughts out there about my recent reads.

Title: Gentlemen Prefer Succubi
Author: Jill Myles
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Succubus Diaries #1
Grade: 2.5 out of 5 stars

I had really been looking forward to getting around to this series, maybe because of the hype, maybe because succubi aren't that commonly used, but probably because I love the covers.  I won't discredit a book for a bad cover, but I will pick up a book for a good one :)

Unfortunately, with all those high expectations for the book, it was really easy to disappoint me.  I didn't necessarily dislike it and I did enjoy reading it.  I think the main problem was that I felt like it had an idea with so much potential and then didn't go anywhere with it.

Stuff that got on my nerves:

1. Why were the succubi so powerless?!  Jackie and Remy have absolutely no power in this book- even when it comes to seduction.  They need to have sex or they will stave, so they are slaves to their desires.  Ok, I get that.  It's a cool twist to the whole succubi thing, but aren't succubi supposed to be able to control the desires of others?  Instead, Remy and Jackie are physically desirable (not that they have any control over that). Their bodies have been transformed into the image of the ultimate male fantasy- which apparently is a size six with 32DD.  Oh, and the thing that almost made me stop reading all together?  They can't be raped because their hormones would kick in and they'd want it.  Can I even say on how many levels that is disturbing and wrong?

2.  The action/adventure was fairly lame.  I ended up skimming over it.

3.  I think Jackie got on a lot of people's nerves because she kept doing stupid stuff over... and over... and over... except it wasn't her fault!  No one ever bothered to tell her anything, so of course she didn't know and would go make a fool of herself, and then everyone would stand around laughing going "oh silly young succubus".  So... I guess Jackie doing stupid things was something that didn't get on my nerves...

Things I liked:

Despite the many things I didn't like, there were things I liked about this book:

1.  The sex.  Myles can write a good sex scene, that's for sure.  And the sexual tension was good too.  I almost wish the book had let go and been a bit more sex-focused.  After all, it is about succubi, and the action/adventure needed work anyway.

2.  Noah and Zane.  I loved both heroes (kinda like Jackie hehe).  I don't think I could pick one as a favorite.  They both have some really excellent scenes in this book, though Zane gets much more page time and more is revealed about his emotions, etc. I really wish more time had been spent developing them in this book, but this book was clearly about Jackie's beginning as a succubus.

So tallying all that up I'm rating Gentlemen Prefer Succubi 2.5 out of 5.  Not great, but just enough of a pull that I'll stick around for book two.

1 comment: