Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Belated Valentine's Day

Happy Belated Valentine's Day!

I meant to post something yesterday (seeing how V-day and romance go together and all...) but ended up distracted by mundane household errands. I have to admit that V-day is one of those holidays that always slips my mind. I'm not in a relationship, so I'm not going to be doing something with my significant other. And I'm not lonely, so I'm not going to spend the day cheering myself up. I'd use it as a day to celebrate romance, but hey, I do that everyday.

All in all, I hope everyone had a good Valentine's Day, whatever you decided to do with it.

Recent Reads:

Title: Never Seduce A Scoundrel
Author: Sabrina Jeffries
Genre: Historical Romance
Series: School for Heriesses (#1)
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I can generally rely on Sabrina Jeffries for a fun, light read. Never Seduce a Scoundrel was possibly my favorite- there was some great tension between Amelia and Lucas. Lucas is a bit bullheaded for most of the book, but he comes around before I started to dislike him. The suspense and mystery are fairly predictable, so any interesting conflict is confined to Amelia and Lucas and whether or not their romance can survive the lies around them. I liked the scenes involving "The Scottish Scourge", who later goes on to be hero in another book in the series. Overall it was very enjoyable.


Title: High Heels and Holidays
Author: Kasey Michaels
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense
Series: Maggie Kelly Mystery (#5)
Rating: 1 out of 5 stars

I couldn't get past the first chapter of this. It begins with our heroine, Maggie, writing in her journal about all the things that are going on in her life, mainly her boyfriend who is a fictional romance hero come to life. I think its a cool concept, but I never got past that first chapter to find out. She keeps referring to the journal as "Fred" (at least I think that's what was going on). For quite a while I couldn't figure out who Fred was- was he another character, a figment of her imagination, or was I supposed to be Fred? I might have been able to push myself more and gotten into the book after a chapter or two more, but it seemed like too much effort. This is the fifth in the Maggie Kelly Mystery series, so Maggie and her not-so-fictional boyfriend Alexandre would probably have made a lot more sense if I had started at the beginning.


Title: Gone with the Nerd
Author: Vicki Lewis Thompson
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense
Series: Nerds (#4)
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

I definitely want to write a full review of this one as soon as I have time. This one had some serious WTF moments, and the characters and plot seemed to be all over the place. There is some strong animal attraction between the two main characters. Longer review to come.

1 comment: