Monday, December 27, 2010

Welcome to the Dark Side

A lot of romance readers dip into YA fiction, myself included.  Some of my favorite books have ended up being YA-romances, which were much more complex than I expected.  I was intruiged today when I saw the article The Dark Side of Young Adult Fiction in the NYT's.  It's not an article really.  It doesn't take a side but presents a serious of opinions about why so many dark themes and dystopias reoccur in YA-fiction.  It made me take a moment to look at my TBR list and sure enough books like "The Hunger Games" and "Matched" were on there.


However, unlike some of the op-ed pieces, I don't think these are *new* themes to YA-fiction, but inherent to the genre.  I can remember being 13 and loving books like "The Giver" and "Z is for Zachariah".

Whatever your take is on YA-fiction and its various themes, the piece is well worth taking a look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment