Thursday, August 27, 2009

Flyboy- Karen Foley

Flyboy can best be described as dying relationship with two partners stubbornly ignoring their problems- it was only saved by the sex.

To accurately describe the book, I should probably give it two ratings. One for the plot and one for the sex appeal. I’d give Angel and Sedona at least 4 to 5 stars for setting the pages on fire. Even for a Blaze, Flyboy was heavy on its erotic appeal.

While I ended up giving the book 3 stars overall, I came very close to giving it 2, or maybe 1 and a half- because the plot was just so freaking absurd. If I hadn’t pushed myself through the very beginning it may have become a DNF. While it’s believable that there is sexism in the military, it’s a bit extreme to have the plot focus on a secret “Membership” where people are promoted by their sexual exploits during business trips.

One thing in the books favor is the lack of drawn out Big Misunderstandings between the protagonists, though I do think those are more common in Presents than Blazes. While there were a few Big Misunderstandings, Sedona and Angel managed to work things out within a few pages, instead of drawing stupid issues out through the entire book. And they both actually chose to deal with their issues and feelings, which was refreshing. No, what really makes this book a wall-banger is its absurd plot line.

I think what I love most about this book though it is its cover: massive phallic imagery! How on earth could I resist buying a book with a cover this blatant and hilarious!? And the cover model… abs to die for. The book might not be a keeper, but the cover is.



No comments:

Post a Comment