Thursday, January 27, 2011

Let it snow, let it snow, ELIZABETHAN VAMPIRES!

We are snowed in here in northern Maryland.  My college shut down early yesterday and classes were cancelled today as well.  From what I hear it's going to snow tomorrow as well.  Nice time to curl up with a good book, eh?

In the meantime, oh look, a mini book review!

The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer by Lucy Weston
DNF
DNFs are really, really rare for me.  I usually end up pushing myself to finish stuff because I'm the type of person who loves to know the endings.  But once I had set this down for more that an hour, I just couldn't bring myself to pick it up again.  It was easy enough to read, but could be rather dull.  In particular the language grated on my nerves.  The syntax used was very high brow, almost pretentious.  I think the point was to make Elizabeth appear both royal and from a previous era.  Elizabeth would have used Early Modern English, like in a Shakespearean play, but the language seemed more Victorian.  I know I seem like a stickler right now, but it was very distracting.  I did like the character of Mordred though.   Anyone who is familiar with the legends of King Arthur would find him interesting.  Since I never finished it, please feel free to e-mail me if you know the ending :)

No comments:

Post a Comment