Monday, January 3, 2011

Top Picks of 2010

With the New Year just gone, I though I'd reflect back on what I've read in 2010.  Here are my favorite reads from over the past year.

Top Picks
1. Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner


I normally don't go for "chick lit", but I really loved Cannie's story.  She goes through the whole self-discovery journey without being too self-indulgent, usually poking fun of the overabundance of self-help books and programs available.  I though the second half of the book became a little unrealistic and fantasy-like, but overall a really great read.  I tore through it.

2. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles (review here)


I love this book. Period.  It was not at all what I expected, which probably made me love it even more.  I think the best compliment I can give it is that Perfect Chemistry is the book that turned me back on to YA-romance.
3. Wed Him Before You Bed Him by Sabrina Jeffries


Sabrina Jeffries has been one of my go-to historical authors for years.  I love the humor in her books.  Wed Him Before You Bed Him was a great and satisfying ending to the Heiress.

4. Lover Mine by J.R. Ward


Yea, I think everyone knows I go wild for the BDB...  John Matthew has been one of my favorite characters since Lover Eternal.  I cannot say how badly I was looking forward to his book, and it did not disappoint.  And that cover is on fire!
5. What the Librarian Did by Karina Bliss


This was a fun read.  Devin is now one of my favorite heroes.  And it takes place in New Zealand!  How awesome is that?!
Honorable Mentions
1. A Man in A Million by Jessica Bird (review here)


I ended up reading Jessica Bird because of my love of J.R. Ward, and probably loved this book for the same reason- Spike could sooo be a Brother!  The rest of the story was good too though ;)
2. Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas


I think I was one of the few people who hated Sugar Daddy, so I'm not sure why I read Blue-Eyed Devil other than that I already owned it, but I definitely don't regret it!  Haven Travis was an inspiring heroine and heavy duty material was dealt with without being either flippant or melodramatic.
3. Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James


This was a surprise since I didn't not like Practice Makes Perfect all that much.  While the ending was a bit care-bear and rushed, the rest of the book was great and had just the right amount of sexual tension and witty dialog.

4. The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran


Dark!  But in the best way.  It was a great emotional roller coaster- mentally you just get sucked in.  I don't know what took me so long to try Meredith Duran!
5. Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale


The characters were what really made this one for me- Trev and his boyish charm, Callie and her bull Hubert!
Shout-Outs
1. Lord of Scoundrels by Lorretta Chase (review here)


I really really enjoyed this book (after all, I did read it without ever setting it down).  The reason it's not an honorable mention or a top pick is more that I didn't find it particularly memorable, so it's hard to recommend other than to say... "um, well I know I liked it."
2. Sinful Surrender by Beverley Kendall


While I liked this book, it didn't blow me out of the water.  However I did like it enough to find it memorable, be willing to maybe recommend it, and to want to buy the next book in the series some point after it is published- therefore I felt it deserved a spot on my shout out list.

Those were my picks for 2010!  I'm excited to see what this year has in store for me.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED, Perfect Chemistry. I'm not a YA reader, either, but that was was recommended to me and I read it in one sitting.

    You didn't like Sugar Daddy? I loved that one. Blue Eyed Devil I liked, but not as much as Sugar Daddy.

    The Duke of Shadows was one I read in 98 and really loved as well.

    Lord of Scoundrels I have in my TBR.

    And, Sinful Surrender I was so-so about. It was okay, but it wasn't keeper material for me. I don't know why. Alot of people really, really liked the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the Sexiest Man Alive was fantastic. That was my first Julie James read and I am definitely going for more. Very nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara- I'm glad you liked Perfect Chemistry too! It really blew me away.

    I'm the only person I know who couldn't stand Sugar Daddy. It was a true wall banger for me. But like I said, I'm glad it didn't keep me from picking up Blue-Eyed Devil.

    I'm not quite sure I count Sinful Surrender as a "keeper", but it was one of my favorites from the past year so I just felt like listing it.

    Julie- Thank you! I can't wait to read JJ's Something About You. Both her newer books have awesome covers.

    ReplyDelete